Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sushi Loca

VERDICT: Shove it in your face hole - Xtreme Sushi for the eternally hip that don't have time to be bothered with anything that doesn't come with a warning.


My first problem with Sushi Loca is the name.  It sounds like Mexican Sushi, right?  For some reason, all I can imagine is a California roll deep fried and smothered in cheese and enchilada sauce.  Luckily, that isn't on the menu, however, it was a hindrance in getting in the door.  Greg also refused to eat at a place with such misleading name.  I had to agree with him.  I long ago set the rule that I never eat Japanese food from a restaurant that has Chinese food for the simple reason that Chinese people can't cook Japanese food well.  I am pleased to announce that there isn't a taquito roll on the menu.  There are some spicy rolls and perhaps that is the association with the name "Loca". 

The atmosphere is slick, red, bright, and ultra-modern.  The music is a soundtrack of dance songs that have annoyed me throughout time.  All the way from "Kung Fu Fighting" to "Everybody Dance Now" to the Black Eyed Peas song that seemed to be written solely to get played at every Bar Mitzvah from now 'til eternity.  Way to corner the Jewish market, Black Eyed Peas!  These songs are blasted, too.  To the point that Greg could not hear me very well and he's got super hearing.  So, he ended up devolving into a go-go boy that had to bop to the beat, which can be quite distressing for me to watch.

We got the Jackpot roll and the Megabucks roll.  The Jackpot roll was OK, but Greg thought it was too spicy.  The Megabucks roll was cold, like it just came out the freezer.  I'm used to sushi being room temperature and I didn't care for the icebox sushi.  So, I don't recommend their "fancy" rolls.  I had every intention in "going cheap" and only ordering traditional rolls, but I always get sucked into trying house rolls.  As far as house rolls go, there are a lot of them, but there isn't much variation in them.  They all appear to be various combinations of salmon and cream cheese or crab and avocado smothered with different sauces.  I really should have just gotten the good ol' staples.  The California roll I got was delicious.  Greg said that I should be ashamed because the California roll seems like such an insult to Japanese food (compared to the Megabucks roll?!?  Ha!).  Anyway, if you are going to order sushi in this dance club of a Mexican/Japanese restaurant than I suggest keeping is simple: tuna roll, California roll, tamago...etc.

Greg also got the tonkatsu.  They did not provide karashi, but they did put the tonkatsu sauce on the side.  Since Greg doesn't like karashi, it wasn't a big deal.  I, on the other hand, would have been bummed out.
Sushi Loca on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment